10 things you should never do when wearing a suit
- First and foremost, make sure your suit fits well. Get yourself measured by a tailor, not your girlfriend. And then actually use those measurements to get the fit right. Don’t borrow a suit, and don’t hire a suit. Remember: There is no such thing as one size fits all.
- If you can possibly avoid it, don’t do up the last button on your suit. Sure, there’ll be the occasions at work or a wedding where you can’t avoid it but undo that bottom one as soon as you get a chance. It makes the jacket fit better and stops it riding up and becoming creased. This goes for a waistcoat if you wear one too.
- For the same reason – undo all buttons when you sit down.
- Having spent time getting the jacket right, do not ruin the look by wearing baggy trousers.
- Unless you’re at a funeral don’t match the tie to the suit. Your tie should contrast with and complement the suit.
- Do not wear a sports watch, wristband or anything else that will cheapen the look. A good quality metal watch or a gold bracelet will enhance the look. Anything else will detract.
- Remember – no anorak ever enhanced a suit. A proper overcoat is fine, but no other kind of coat or jacket will work.
- Don’t overdo the accessories. As mentioned earlier a good quality wristwatch or bracelet will go with a good quality suit. And a pocket square can too. But that’s about it. If you’re thinking of wearing a tie pin, pin badge or anything else to try to dress the suit up, then think again. Remember the old adage – less is more, and let your suit do the talking.
- Don’t fall into the trap of thinking you can have one pair of shoes to complement every suit you own. It’s a peculiarly male trait and one which doesn’t make sense. Think about it; women tend to have a selection of shoes and much as we might mock them for it, we have to admit it works. So, ditch the macho and make shoes part of the outfit. But be warned, just like with the tie, shoes should complement and contrast without taking over.
- If there is one single biggest way to ruin a suit, it’s to wear it with white socks. There is no excuse for such an abomination.
And a few things you should
- Get dressed in front of a mirror. Sounds obvious but what other reason could there be for people who wear their tie too long or too short?
- Style your hair. It’s all part of the look – don’t let yourself down on something so simple
- Stay on trend.
- Be confident. If you’ve done it right, you know you look good; so, believe in yourself.
For all your made to measure clothing requirements and all the latest styles give us a call or send us an email, so we can go through the steps with you.
To see our most updated style collection, have a look here.